Thursday, April 06, 2006

Repping Ohio & a turn Ace

The fine people at PokerStars were looking for poker players to represent Ohio versus the other states, and then the rest of the world. I play poker, live in Ohio, and have 50 fpp: I met the requirements! So did 99 other PokerStars players. PokerStars deemed the best way to determine who of the 100 would represent Ohio was to throw us all into a heads up tournament. First round, 72 of us played while 28 waited so that we could get into the 'power of two' sweet spot. I won the first round, then had to wait for my next opponent. That's what is wrong with these things, the wait. If they could set these up to where the second and later rounds could play while the earlier rounds were still going, I think it would be an improvement. This would lead to longer waits towards the later rounds, but the time waited by players overall would be diminished.
I used aggression to march through a few more rounds. In the time between rounds, I research the tournament further. The winner of this tournament will be the third player on the Ohio team. The Ohio team will then play matches against other teams. These teams will then form USA teams. This was concerning to me. I've pokered on line for a few years now, but never played as part of a team, with others depending on me. Even if I won this, I didn't think I was up to that task. I was having confidence issues in my ability at that level. On top of that, the players don't get any prizes out of this until it reaches the Team USA stage. How much time was I going to spend waiting between heads up matches for no payback? This didn't look as attractive anymore.
My style continued to move me forward. I don't consider myself a goods heads up player. My heads up history is a loss to Veneno. I've had some experience finishing tournaments, but by then the blinds, or the hours of play lead that to be a quicker time frame. However, what I was doing was better than my what my opponents were doing.
From 100 to 64 to 32 to 16 to 8. I actually remember some of this game. Through aggression, I chipped up on the guy. Pulled a few bigger pots and was at a 2.5 to 1 advantage. With JJ (Walker), I raised it to my higher raise level, about 6x. He calls and the flop is TQK. I continue bet big, and he reraises me all in. I'm pretty sure I'm behind. I believe if I fold, we are back to even. If I call and lose, I'm behind a bit. I call and get my suckout Ace on the river. He says he hated my call. If I were him, I'd want a call in that situation. Anyway, it is what it is. He could of had AJ, with me drawing nearly dead. I move on to the next round with 4 players left. That one passes with little of note, and quickly. I get a chance to watch the other game and see if I can pick up player tendencies. Our match starts, and I chip up with the same aggressive game I've been playing. I get up to a 2-1 lead and we get it all in, my 55 vs his A6. The flop is harmless, but he turns and Ace. Now I'm down. However, I continue to play my game and get the lead back. I'm tired and a bit loose at this point. I get A 5 with a 5 J J flop. I bet big and he pushes. I know it's a bad call as a click call. I felt like I was owed from the last turn Ace that has kept this game going. He has QQ here. With no help, I'm way behind in chip count. We dance back and forth a bit before I'm out. The turn Ace earlier in the game tilted me, as well as the lack of enthusiasm to continue. Looking back at my overall performance against my opponents, I now feel that I was better than each of them, and I allowed a worse player to go along to represent Ohio. I have let down the entire state. All because of a temporary lack of confidence and a turn Ace.

3 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

That game sucked and attracted the worse players in the world.. so they should rename it the "Donkey Cup". I got nailed when someone thought it was a great idea to push with a flush draw (non nut) on a 3 heart board (1 less out dumb ass) against my TPTK. Well done idiot, well done. If I win that hand I am going to the round of 8 baby!

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Nice post, Meek. I enjoy your writing style and look forward to hearing more about your poker exploits.

Meek said...

Thanks for the compliment HammerPlayer. You sure you aren't talking about the writing style of my bank roll? It actually is a lot better than I am.

SirF, it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here. The saving grace they may have is that each state has a captain picked from the tournament leader board.