Monday, April 24, 2006

Chips Don't Grow on Trees, You Know!

No, this isn't a post about how valuable chips are in a tournament, and how you, Wayward Searcher, should protect each and every one. This post announces a new poker product by H H Innovations, the Chip Tree. Also, thanks to Biggestron for informing me of this product.



They were kind enough to send me a sample product to review. I set up a hand on the dining room table so you could better see the product. Either through laziness or preference, I chose a wood background instead of felt. How about the hand I cold decked there. Hammer vs suited slick. On the flop, slick gets top pair with the A high flush draw. The hammer gets . . not much, runner - runner straight, flush, and straight flush draws. Of course suited slick makes the A high flush on the turn, and the hammer pounds out the straight flush to take it on the river. If I had this to do over, I'd put the flop as A45 to give the hammer the gut shot straight draw at that point also. I'll digress from my fantasy poker hand and get back to the product in the middle of the shot.

On the surface, it is a modest, but well built, chip display. It does this job superbly. However, what H2I does to elevate this product to the next level is to also send the chips with the denominations imprinted in easy to read font. This master stroke, along with the 2 by 5 layout of the chips, allows the chip tree to be used as a mid game informational device. You, Wayward Searcher, are able to easily display the value of the chips in your game. It may not all-together eliminate the question, "What are the greens worth, again?" but it gives you something sturdy to beat the idiot over the head with when they do ask. The Chip Tree looks like it can withstand several forehead slaps. At my next home game, I plan to conduct a stress test on the product. I will post the results here, if the test does occur.

Revisiting the rigged hand tangent and the Chip Tree, I also messed up the chip counts. There are entirely too many white chips on the table for them to be worth 500 each. Additionally, if the red chips are still in the game, there aren't enough of them there. A nice coincidence is that the denomination chips in the Chip Tree match my chips with the suits around the top edge and the dots on the side. Also, the rest of the poker supplies on the table came from my promotion fulfillment's in Poker Source Online (Chip set and case, Copaq plastic cards, DB dealer button/timer) I just finished a promotion on Poker Rewards of 750 raked hands for PSO which gets me PSO points as well as entry into an exclusive $10k freeroll.

That, Wayward Searcher, is my product review of the Chip Tree. If you constantly have idiots at your homegame (and you should) who need to be reminded the value of the chips, this is the product that will do that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How hard was it to clear the poker rewards promo? I may have to try that if it relatively easy. What limits did you play at? And about how long?

Thanks
kipper

BTW ..I placed 13th in last nights PSO promo. I made some dumb moves to cost me the top 10. I had 64k in chips at one point. made dumb mistakes.

Meek said...

Kipper,
I cleared the 750 hands for the PSO promo in about 5 nights playing two to three tables of 1/2 LHE. There are a few loose players at that level, but probably 90% rocky. I'm up $70 right now, after starting off barely losing. Also, I stumbled on an 80 person $500 freeroll and finished 4th for another $70. I need to get to 2000 hands to release the PRewards bonus.

I saw you in the IRC chat pretourny, but you know how they were moderating the talk there. Good ITM finish for you, out of 280 some! I'm having Absolute software issues right now for tournament tables that need resolved, since most of the PSO freerolls are there.

Anonymous said...

I may have to pass on the poker rewards. Although I cannot see a whole lot of people completeing that requirement. Its tempting to say the least. I usually play .50/1.oo NL. I may drop on to see how fast it clears. I usually single table as I am in no hurry most of time.